Sustainable and Recycled Packaging
EO Products utilized both FSC certified and Paperboard packaging in the printing of their packaging, point of sale displays and shippers.
FSC is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization established to promote the responsible management of the world’s forests.FSC certification is a voluntary, market-based tool that supports responsible forest management worldwide. FSC certified forest products are verified from the forest of origin through the supply chain. The FSC label ensures that the forest products used are from responsibly harvested and verified sources.
Established in 1993 as a response to concerns over global deforestation, FSC is a pioneer forum where the global consensus on responsible forest management convenes and through democratic process effects solutions to the pressures facing the world’s forests and forest-dependent communities.
Within this forum, voices from the Global North and South, from organizations big and small, assemble to define environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable forest management and identify the tools and resources that will effect positive, lasting change.
- benefits the environment and preserves habit that for birds and forest animals.
- unifies all the stakeholders responsible for forest management.
- provides oversight, ensuring forest management practices are responsible and will be continued to be improved.
- protects the rights of workers and the rights indigenous communities to use the forests.
- benefits business, as sustainable forest management preserves the forest for the long-term.
- creates new markets for products produced as FSC.
- allows consumers to know where their product originated and enables them to make more conscious choices about their purchases.
Recycled paperboard is made from 100% recovered paper that has been diverted from the solid waste stream and then collected, separated, cleaned and recycled for use. Caliper for caliper, 100% recycled paperboard is functionally equivalent to virgin paperboard grades, providing similar performance and exceptional value, as well as being good for the environment. It’s an environmentally friendly packaging solution for companies interested in moving their products into green packaging, while still using cardboard box packaging.
100% Paperboard Benefits:
- Fourteen trees are saved for each ton of paperboard converted to 100% recycled paperboard from virgin. Trees are critical to the sequestration (absorption) of CO2 (an identified greenhouse gas) in North America.
- For each ton of paperboard converted to 100% recycled paperboard, an equal amount of recovered fiber has been diverted from municipal landfills.
- The 100% recycled paperboard industry is the primary purchaser of OCC (old corrugated cartons). This recovered fiber from retail stores and industrial sources is converted into 100% recycled paperboard and ultimately into packaging.
- Production of 100% recycled paperboard uses 50 percent less energy compared to virgin grades of paperboard, thus significantly reducing the greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere.